Sep 14, 2021
Cash Withdrawal in an ATM with face biometrics – Use Case
Face biometrics is increasingly present in our daily lives. Probably you have heard about it recently since it is being integrated into everyday tasks that used to be tedious and complex.
In the previous use case, we analyzed facial identification for its use within an electronic signature. In this case of use, we will analyze a new frictionless, simplified and modern method that complies with the current regulations to withdraw money at the ATMs.
What it is face biometrics
Face biometrics involves scanning a face, by referencing specific points of it to create a map. This map is converted into a unique and non-transferable mathematical representation associated with the identity of the scanned person.
This process is subdivided into two parts: the detection and the identification phases. First, the system has to be able to recognize a face in an image, sometimes in a live video, and then compare the recognized face with the system’s database to identify the subject. This process is complicated to perform, especially in real-time video.
Biometric facial recognition is being implemented in everyday processes of all kinds, from mobile unlocking (with Apple’s FaceID as one of the pioneering solutions for its iOS system) to cash withdrawal at ATMs (SmileID from eID).
If you want to know more about SmileID, a pioneering solution for biometric facial recognition, click here.
Cash withdrawal in ATMs
The cash withdrawal process at ATMs is well-known and seems to be a simple action. However, this process is the combination of computer operations, technology, and research, which has been constantly optimized and improved to offer customers a flawless experience.
The first step to withdraw money is to identify yourself at the ATM. This process was carried out in a traditional way by inserting the card and introducing the pin associated with it but, as we will see later, this method of identification in ATM is being replaced by new methods such as face biometrics.
Following identification, and within a few seconds, the subsequent processes occur:
- Checks are made regarding the availability of money and, if so, authorization is provided.
- Trays with money are properly located and connected to the ATM mechanism.
- An intelligent gear selects the bills that are needed one by one.
- An optical sensor verifies the amount and authenticity of the bills.
- A slot opens and delivers the requested cash to the customer.
- The user is asked if he wants a receipt of the operation, then the process is finished and the user is logged out.
However, all these processes would not have taken place without the first of all: the proper identification of the client who wants to access his account to get money. This process has been reinvented and optimized thanks to facial biometric identification:
Face biometrics can also be used for payments. Check this use case to learn how payment procedures work with face recognition
How does face biometrics identification work at ATMs?
Face biometrics identification system is easily integrated into the usual ATM software, enabling the following identity and access verification procedure.
Facial biometrics identification process at ATMs
- The user approaches the ATM.
- The system asks the user to show his face to the camera and smile.
- The user enters his personal pin(or digital bank signature).
- The system verifies and validates the identity of the client.
- Access is granted to the client’s system, accounts, and cards.
- The client can withdraw cash or carry out tasks related to its service of the possible ones in the ATM.
Each bank can adjust this procedure to their needs, for example, by requesting that the customer also presents his credit card instead of entering the pin.
This process must be done in complete compliance with AML5 and eIDAS.
Download this free whitepaper to understand these rules.
SmileID, changing the banking sector
eID is a pioneer in the integration of face biometrics solutions thanks to its VideoID and SmileID technologies.
SmileID replies to the current need for a face biometrics system that meets the most demanding requirements of all current legislation: AML5 Directive, eIDAS regulation and all laws associated with the KYC (Know Your Customer) processes.
SmileID and the development team behind this technology work to make easy its integration into any channel and support beyond ATMs. It is a versatile and 100% remote solution, allowing client authentication in apps, web stores or any application in all sectors and of any kind.
Soon we will tell you about more use cases associated with ATMs and identity verification:
- Contract and sign in an ATM or digital terminal with OTP.
- Bank account opening at ATMs.
- Registration and bank account opening in digital terminals.
- Facial recognition to contract at an ATM or digital terminal.
- Cash withdrawal with NFC solution for contactless ID documents
Request a demo of the most advanced and safe Video IDentification technologies available in the market.