Jan 11, 2021
What is Edtech and the relevance of identification
Edtech, or Edutech, had been a more or less emerging and semi-consolidated reality in some educational institutions such as the university for a decade, with the establishment of social distancing. However, due to the health situation, the educational community has been forced to fully deploy Educational Technology.
Due to this situation, the educational system has reinvented its forms and, even those institutions that were already digitized or that had been offering distance or blended education, have needed new types of solutions adapted to 100% online teaching, including key and delicate elements such as exams or the issuance of official certificates.
What is Edtech?
Edtech concept is born from the words “Educational Technology“. Educational Technology (ET) is known as the area dedicated to the work in innovation and digitization in education. Technological solutions and the development of innovations are applied to education to improve, extend, and optimize the learning process in any of its phases.
This applies equally to both formal education and non-formal education (NFE), as well as public and private education. EdTech can also be used to refer to the ecosystem of organizations, companies, and institutions that support and develop the integration of technology in the educational system.
Contact eID through this form and discover how our solutions are promoting Edtech.
The future of education
The future of education and its technological needs does not only involve telematic and remote education. Edtech develops technological solutions that improve educational processes through the integration of digital tools both in the systems of educational organizations and in the classroom to make them more effective, efficient and stimulating for both students and professionals.
Thus, Edtech transversely affects all areas and scales of education and training, such as:
- Private and public education in all its stages: primary, secondary, high school, college, and graduate. It includes all its procedures, innovation in teaching techniques, and the creation of platforms such as virtual classrooms, etc.
- Private professionalized education: From business schools to academies of courses and specializations. All kinds of NFE.
- All kinds of labor and occupational training: such as ORP (Occupational Risk Prevention) training in companies and organizations, food handling courses, safety…
- Road education and professional certificate courses: Teaching, examination, procedures…
- Individual records of achievements Academics: Digital badges, MOOC, REA, PLE, and personalized learning.
- Teaching staff of private classes: marketplaces for face-to-face classes and platforms for online classes.
- Systems of educational organizations: It corresponds to the digitization of administrative and bureaucratic processes and procedures of any educational organization or related in any way to learning.
Digital identification in Edtech
One of the foundations of education is the identification of the student. Getting to know well the student you are dealing with and distinguishing him from the rest of the class is a task that teaching professionals develop without many complications in primary and secondary face-to-face education.
However, both in higher attendance and in all types of distance education, digital identification becomes the central axis of Edtech in order to verify the identity of the student.
Despite being especially relevant, being essential, in distance and online education, we can see how, for example, in university exams, it is requested to leave the identity document on the table to avoid fraud and to corroborate that the students who are taking the exam are the same as the ones that are being evaluated.
Digitization of this identity verification process of the student has already been developed and can be applied both in face-to-face and online education. It is applied thanks to techniques of video identification, electronic signature and authentication.
Here we expose a series of examples of use cases and applications in which digital identification technologies are helping the implementation of Edtech in all areas and scales of teaching:
- Digitized face-to-face identification for evaluation tests.
- Remote identification for evaluative tests.
- Identification for attendance control both in-person and remotely.
- Electronic certificate and signature for the issuance of educational certificates, titles, and others with full guarantees and official endorsement.
- Identity verification for users (students and teachers) of private tutoring platforms.
- Biometric authentication for access to educational services, platforms, and tools both online and offline, as well as to carry out administrative and bureaucratic procedures of, for example, universities and schools.
Request a demonstration of VideoID here, eID’s digital identification technology for all sectors.
KYC or KYS (Know Your Student)
Widely-known in the business and consumer sector as the KYC (Know Your Customer) process, video identification allows identifying people with the maximum legal guarantees and regulatory standards with a formal equivalence equal to face-to-face qualified identification.
This process, used by Edtech to verify the identity of students (Know Your Student, KYS) and in conjunction with the electronic signature and authentication processes, allows, thanks to its various applications, to carry out in a digitized, agile, simple and remote way a series of processes that previously were complex, bureaucratic and that required mandatory representation on the part of the student.
The process runs in seconds, guided by a narrator, on any type of device (PC, tablet, smartphone …) holding a camera, integrated into any type of channel (own APP, website, school system, company or institution …) as follows:
- The user introduces the requested data.
- The user shows the front side of the identity document.
- The user shows the back side of the ID.
- Showing face is requested.
- For the last step, the user smiles at the camera.
The identity of the student, teacher, or user of any organization in the education sector is registered. It is thus incorporated into the organization’s database and all the possibilities such as those described in the examples of use cases in education and training are activated for both the organization and the users.
eID, digital partner for education and training
Electronic IDentification works to offer identification solutions adapted to any Edtech need that any organization or company may have in relation to teaching, training and the education sector.
Request here a free 15-day trial of these technologies adapted to the needs of companies and educational institutions.