May 10, 2021
Face Identification | 2021 Use Cases for users and business
When our clients meet our face identification solution SmileID, they wonder about the use cases where this kind of identification service can be used.
In order to understand it better, we will focus on face identification, the reasons that justify its use and the possible reasons to limit it.
What is face identification?
Face identification is the process of verifying the identity of a subject using unique hallmarks of his face in order to access an online service, in an application or any kind of device.
Nowadays, it is becoming the reference security measure for users, in addition to providing a novel and intuitive experience for them, with a broad reliability index compared to conventional passwords.
The use of biometrics technology for authentication includes:
- Measures of technical characteristics: for example, fingerprints, iris or face.
- Behavioral characteristics (cadence in writing or gestures), for example smiling.
If you are interested in obtaining more information about the use of face identification, click here and download the guide.
Reasons to limit its use
There is no reason to limit the use of a face identification system as long as it holds high-security standards and efficiency. SmileID technology is based on VideoID, a previous solution that provides this face identification technology with total confidence and high-level security, unlike other similar solutions in the market.
In cases where high security is required, other authentication solutions are limited because of the following reasons:
1. The False Positives Ratio (FPR) does not provide total reliability in the authentication of the person himself.
2. Low-quality biometrics comparison is probabilistic, where other factors (for example, username/password, or a complex face biometric mathematic pattern and smile recognition) are deterministic.
3. Biometrics characteristics do not constitute secrets. Biometrics data can be obtained online, taking an image (face) or through people’s knowledge, obtained from objects that someone can touch (fingerprints) or captured with high-resolution cameras (iris). That is why AI and Machine learning in some face identification solutions avoid this kind of spoofing practices.
Do not miss the use case on facial biometrics in payment processes
Use cases in face identification
Some cases of use of biometric facial recognition through face identification are:
- As a factor authentication on any device, to know in advance the client and be able to provide information that does not require high-level security, such as inquiries about balances, withdrawal of money, use of applications or value-added information.
- As a tool to meet our clients when they are not logged in and suggest information that facilitates access to the system or applications they hold on their devices.
- It can be a perfect ally in an omnichannel strategy, for example, to optimize queues in commercial offices or to connect it with CRM systems and obtain quality information to personalize the relationship with the customer.
- Imagine that you have an alliance with a third party, to which you provide a credit scoring or consumer credit service. You can enable authentication in your applications to meet the customer and provide you with a unique experience in the fast and friction-free contracting processes.
- You can replace expensive and inefficient multi-factor authentication as OTPs with face identification or as 2FA for signing of operations.
Why use SmileID
At eID, we recommend using face identification as part of a multi-factor authentication strategy, combined with something you know (password) or something physical you own (mobile).
SmileID is a unique face identification technology where identity is verified remotely and meets the most restrictive legal requirements of KYC / AML thanks to VideoID.
One of the great advantages of SmileID is its universality since it can be used without friction by the user on any device that has a camera: mobile, tablet, PC or even on television, a Raspberry camera or a kiosk or totem. SmileID features fraud detection techniques, such as life tests, which lessen these risks.
This provides an important versatility at a much lower cost than other solutions that need specific hardware such as fingerprints, which fix this type of solution only in a face-to-face environment.Conclusively, SmileID is a disruptive solution in the market, which is dynamic, satisfactory and safe for both customers and businesses.
Check here every single use case for face identification.