When businesses require trustable confirmation for the proper identification of people, those processes traditionally begin and end in an office to carry out face-to -face identification. Examples like: opening a bank account, contracting a mobile telephone operator, having dealings with government departments or even voting at a shareholders’ meeting or in general elections.
Nowadays this is in the process of being digitalised. In the financial sector due to the new regulations against money laundering and financing terrorism (PBCFT) and will be appearing in other sectors shortly.
Accompanying any change of paradigm, is at times the tendency to give into scepticism or feelings of insecurity. However, we would do well to remember that electronic and digital identification afford greater control than traditional methods and in this field particularly. eID has been a pioneer in the world of video identification with leading technology VideoID. In this article, we would like to draw on our cutting edge experience, since our inception in 2013, to illustrate just how and why video identification is more secure than face-to face.
First, the Video Technology.
VideoID lets you record a video in real time of the process of identification of the person during which he shows the front and back of his passport or ID document. Only when conditions are favorable is a high definition video recorded, with the process that allows one to clearly see the person, alive, without coercion, in great detail and full legibility and his identify document, with the video recorded and sealed electronically for its integrity, as well as the main data on the position and device of the client, such as his ip address and position recorded as main electronic evidence of the act of identification. This high quality video record, immutable in time, far exceeds the test evidence we currently have in face-to -face verification, which never goes beyond a mere photocopy of the ID document. The process of recording by video also has a deterrent effect on persons who want to commit fraud, as they have to step in front of a camera and record themselves in order to try and impersonate or supply phony ID’s. Both these circumstances have meant that fraud cases using our video technology identification has been zero per cent up till now.
Second. Artificial Intelligence
The technology of Artificial Intelligence (IA) and specifically our algorithm IA for the verification of identity allows you to perform verifications during the process, in real time, where with a live bodily presence, the following verifications are not possible.
- Detects the version of the identity document and country of issue verify in real time that the document patterns and the security measures in the image are equivalent to the originals of the authentic source of identity.
- Permits verify that the front and back of the document belong to the same identidy card and that the integrity of its construction is intact , this being unattainable with a human presence as this requires a process that would take hours to calculate.
- Generates an automatic comparison and in real time of the biometric pattern of the person who it identifies and the image that contains the identidy document in the process. The biometric pattern is a unique and inequivocable mathematica model of each person.. This capacity of vision and calculation is also unattainable for the capacities of a human physically present.
It is the combination of the treatment in video and the application of the algorithms of IA in multiple images of the process of recording the video which is the only model that permits sufficient precision to improve security. There are, in the market, similar solutions that deal with isolated images of the document and of the person’s face (selfies) that cannot reach the standard of precision or security given by solutions of video identification. Habitually, this type of solutions based on selfies or images are being used very frequently for low risk processes but they have no equivalent to the security of ours and they are below face-to-face identification too.
Third, A specialised human team
In a financial entity, a telecommunications operator, asking for a Registration Authority from a Certification Authority there can be thousands of people who nowadays do a face-to-face identification and as a necessary process within another more general process which tends to be the contracting of a product or service. Normally, these people are not qualified to undertake the identification. Even with the automatic security methods explained in previous paragraphs, video identification in the regulars sectors, like in banks for money laundering, it is an indispensable requisite that a qualified human team ends up checking the identification process and the different tests, to be able to conclude that the person is who he says he is: this model changes from being decentralized and without qualification to being centralized and specialized, with the advantages that this confers. In our case, for example, we don’t only look for a random identity verification to avoid possible fraud but we also keep the entire custody chain from the beginning until the verifying human agent who does the last checks and proofs.
Some data from the technology leader in video identification, Video ID:
- Identifications done up to now >100.000
- Precision current algorithm IA: 99,99%
- Precision OCR Data Extraction: 97,98%
- Precision Biometric Scoring: 94,76 %
- Availability Platform SaaS: 99,98%
- Identity Fraud Cases: 0
- Average time identification process by the client: 18 Segundos
- Record time for the identification process by the client: 9 Segundos
If you would like to get to know the leading technology of Video IDentificación, contact us!